Week 12 Story Lab

       For this week I decided to do the Story Lab over Language. There were eight videos in the playlist that I was supposed to watch and I'll be recording my thoughts here.

     The first video talks about how languages evolved. The Earth was less populated and as people moved their languages changed until we developed the languages you see today. Languages can be divided into different families. This was a very short video but it gave me a lot to think about, like how language may have come about.

    The second video, also very short, describes how the English language that we speak came about. First, the Celts were being occupied by the Romans, and they protected the Celts. Then the Roman Empire fell and the Germanic tribes took over with their Anglo-Saxon language. This is referred to now as Old English. Eventually through various conquests the English adopted words from French and Latin. This grew and expanded the language into what we know today.

    The third video was a lot of information at once, so I'm still processing it a bit. It talked about the various verb tenses that the English language has. In total, there are about 12 different combinations when using tense. It's inTENSE haha. I didn't realize we had that many tenses in the English language. Perhaps because I'm American and grew up speaking the language, so I learned a lot of this when I was young and just take it for granted. Or perhaps I don't use all those tenses everyday and so I forget some of them.

     The fourth video is may favorite. It talks about a bunch of fictional languages like Dothraki, Elvish, and Na'vi. As a nerd who loves the different languages in my favorite shows, movies, etc., it's cool to hear about this. I love learning about new languages even if I can really only speak English and some Spanish. I want to learn more languages though, even fictional languages. I even have High Valyrian (a language spoken in Game of Thrones) on my DuoLingo App!

Feedback Cat

Link to playlist here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself