Reading Notes: Jataka Tales, Part B

     For this half of the reading, I chose to focus on "The Ox Who Envied the Pig. The story starts out that a farmer had two oxen and a pig. The farmer's daughter was to be married, so they decided to fatten up the pig to serve at the feast. The two ox noticed that the pig was being fed choice food and they were being feed lean food. 

    The ox Big Red told Little Red that the pig ate the food of death! HE was being fattened to eat. The pig was killed, and Little Red learned a valuable lesson. They could eat lean food like grasses and live for a long time. Or they could eat the food of death and die soon. Little Red soon became very grateful that he was eating the food he was, because it meant that he could continue to work and live. 

This story gave me vibes of "be careful what you wish for". Also with the death part it reminded me of the scene in Game of Thrones, where (spoiler alert) Joffrey dies from poisoning. Someone slipped poison into his food. The pig wasn't poisoned, but I thought of that scene. 

If I were to take this story and make it into my own, perhaps I can give it Game of Thrones vibes and make it a human story. I think it would be very interesting. Overall I really enjoyed this story and I'm excited to see what I write for my story this week. 

The Ox and The Pig

Bibliography. "The Ox Who Envied the Pig" by Ellen C. Babbit. Web Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself