Thoughts on Feedback Strategies

     When I first read these articles, I realized that I have been giving feedback wrong for probably most of my life. These articles, and the feedback gallery, opened my eyes on this oversight, and also gave me ideas of more helpful feedback that I can give going forward.

     The first article that I read was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback. It opened my eyes to the fact that praise tends to put people into a fixed mindset, and that if we want to get others into the growth mindset, then we need to be able to provide feedback.

     The second article I read was 5 Reasons to Stop Saying Good Job. I enjoyed this one, because it offered some reasons about why we shouldn't simply just tell people "Good Job!". It makes us more dependent on that person for praise, even our self worth.

     Overall I think these were very useful articles, because it pointed out to me an area where I can grow as a person. My parents tended to use praise instead of feedback I think, and perhaps that's where my more fixed mindset comes from. I also realize that growing up I was dependent on my parents for praise, like the articles said. I'm going to improve on this so that I can give more constructive feedback. It will be very beneficial for me, not just in this class but also in other aspects of my life, both currently and in the future. One of the strategies I want to try this semester is asking questions and pointing out (gently) problems to fix.

    One side-effect of my fixed mindset I've had growing up is a fear to try new things, difficult things because I'm afraid to fail. so this feedback cat spoke to me and I wanted to share it with you, for both your motivation and mine.

Feedback Tells Me to Try Harder.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself