Reading Notes: PDE, Ramayana, Part D

    One story that really stood out to me was the story of the Battle of Rama and Ravana. It was an intense story that held my attention.

     The story opens with Matali coming down on a chariot, offering to be Rama's charioteer. Agastya comes and offers advice to Rama about how to defeat Ravana. In order to defeat Ravana, Rama should hymm the sun. He then purified himself in the waters.

   By this time Ravana was awake again and angry, and came back to Rama to fight him. Rama turns to fight him. The story describes the fight as two flaming lions fighting each other, which immediately put into my mind the image of Simba and Scar fighting in the animated version of the Lion King.

Simba and Scar Fight, From Flickr.

     The page ends with Rama trying to kill Ravana, cutting off head after head, but the heads of Ravana keep growing back. (Eventually Ravana is slain).

     Overall I thought this was a really cool part of the Ramayana, though it seemed so short to me, for being the ultimate climax of the story. Though I always feel like in stories we build so long to the climax and then finally we get there and it ends very quickly. 

     I think if I were to right my version of this story, since I made that connection from this story to the Lion King, perhaps I could do a mash-up of these two stories. The cinematography/animation of that fight scene in the Lion King always had me in awe, it was one of my favorite parts. I haven't scene the 2019 version yet, hopefully they made that scene just as good. Anyway, I would keep the original plot of the Ramayana story, but change some of the details to make it fit better into the story I want. 

Bibliography. PDE Ramayana "Battle of Rama and Ravana" by Sister Nivedita. Web Source.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself