Favorite Place- Ft. Worth Texas

      Hello all, so to start off my blog, I wanted to talk about one of my favorite places I've ever visited, and that is Fort Worth, Texas.

     I'll start with a little background on me. Growing up, my father trained and showed cutting horses, and Forth Worth is where the biggest cutting horse shows are held, the "Triple Crown" of cutting horses if you will. My father would go to shows sometimes several times a month, and some summers my family and I would hook up the horse trailer to our truck and make the 4-hour drive down to Forth Worth. I would instantly know we were there when I looked out the window and saw this.

Forth Worth Skyline 
     Isn't that skyline gorgeous? I always feel at home when I see it, because growing up it became something of a second home. We always stayed at the same Fairfield Inn, and ate at the best steakhouse I've ever been to, Hoffbreau's. Joe T Garcia's also has some excellent Mexican food. The main reason steak is so good around there is most likely because of this.  There used to be cattle drives right down that street, so beef was pretty readily available. I think they still do some cattle drives through there.

Fort Worth Stock Yards

      We would usually spend most of our time at Will Roger's Coliseum, where the horse shows are held. I got to the point where I knew my way around the main coliseum and the surrounding buildings pretty well. I remember, because we would usually go during the summer when it was brutally hot, we always brought lots of water and Gatorade down with us, but because the main coliseum was always so cold, we also had to take a jacket just to keep comfortable inside, but had to immediately take the jackets off when we left the building! 

     Forth Worth will always hold a special place in my heart because of the childhood memories I have of it. I will forever cherish those long drives spent in the truck, those days walking around the grounds of Will Rogers Coliseum in the blistering heat, and that time spent with my family.

Comments

  1. Ohhhhhhhh, Jackie, I am just now putting this together: you're Kathy's daughter, is that right? As soon as you mentioned traveling to the horse shows, I made the connection. Please tell your mom a big hello from me, and I'm hoping her Horses of Hogwarts will keep working its magic and inspiring people's projects this semester. And I share your love of Fort Worth: when I lived in Norman, I would drive down there and my parents would drive up from Austin and we always had such a good time. We loved the museums, and we each had a favorite: my mom loved the Modern Art Museum, I loved the Kimbell, and my dad loved the Amon Carter. Literally something for everyone! So, yay for Fort Worth, and I hope you have a fun time with this class. Horses are BIG in the Indian mythological traditions, so maybe that is something you will want to explore! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Sorry for being so late getting back to you, I've had very limited internet for the better part of a week now. Yes, I'm Kathy's daughter! Did she write about Forth Worth too? That would be funny. I'll be sure to give her a big hello. Aww I'm glad someone else shares my love of Forth Worth. There really is something for everyone, and I've probably only seen a very small portion of it. I'm already loving this course so far. Oh that's interesting, I'm new to Indian mythology, so this will be very interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind. :-)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I don't remember if Fort Worth her place or not, but I certainly heard about the horses! And no worries about replying to comments: blog commenting is a weird business... asynchronous conversations are always kind of open-ended and unfinished, but well-intentioned, kind of like walking by people on the sidewalk and saying hi... but not at the same time. Weird, yes, but the Internet is all weird, right? I was excited to read about the cybersecurity stuff in your intro; that all sounds so cool. Please tell your mom hi from me! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself