Week 10 Story Lab

For this week, I decided to do a story lab, and for my story lab I decided to watch the Ted Talk videos about A New Theory of Human Intelligence, and Copyright is Brain Damage.

     In A New Theory of Human Intelligence, the speaker begins with showing two different reports. One may think that they are two entirely different students, but it is revealed that they are in fact the same student, years apart. He explains the theory of the twice-exceptional student, who has lots of strengths but also unique challenges as well. In order to discover how many kids are falling through the cracks, he suggests looking at the Four C Model: Capacity, Competence, Commitment, Creativity. He talks about competence and the I.Q. test. Many people surprisingly over-perform and under-perfom based on that test score! I thought that it was very surprising, it clearly shows that the I.Q. test does not give you the complete picture of a person's ability.

     Finally, I watched the second video called Copyright is Brain Damage by Nina Paley (the author who finished the film Sita Sings the Blues!). She talks about how copyrights don't actually benefit the artists who create the works, rather it helps prevent the circulation of these works. She gives an example in her life. In the film Sita Sings the Blues, she uses music from the 1920s. Nearly all of the artists have died by this point, so it certainly wasn't making them any money. By the time she was working on the film, she had mostly been doing comic books, and she talks about how copyright is probably the reason most people haven't read/seen her comics. She ended with a clip from her film Seder Masochism, which looks amazing. She does awesome work and I'm so grateful that she didn't allow her inner censor to stop her from producing these films.

    Overall I enjoyed these videos, and I may have to go look at more of Nina Paley's work.

Rama, Sita, and several of the gods in Sita Sings the Blues

Bibliography. "A New Theory of Human Intelligence" and "Copyright is Brain Damage. Web Source.




Comments

  1. Hey Jackie! I did not watch this TED talk video but the concept of it sounds really interesting. I might have to go check it out. I agree that IQ test cannot capture all that one is capable of and think it is an unfair way to judge someone's capabilities. So I definitely agree that the IQ test does not get the full picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself