Reading Notes: PDE, Ramayana, Part C

     I chose to shorten my notes down this time and chose a part of the story that caught my eye. I really liked the story of Sampati and Jatayu, because it reminds me of the story of Icarus and how he flew too close to the sun.

     The story starts out with the two vulture brothers, Sampati and Jatayu, growing up together in the nest. As they grew, the nest started becoming much to small for them, so small in fact that they could hear and feel each others hearts beat because they were so close together. Eventually they longed to fly in the winds. So they did.

    Unfortunately, the midday sun looked to them and Jatayu fainted, so great was the heat. Poor Sampati, wanting to help his brother as he fell, spread his wings and as he did so the sun burned them. Sampati fell, unable to fly and in a lot of pain.

     He went to the cave of Saint Nishakara and asked why he wasn't allowed to die, because he was unable to fly and still in pain. Nishakra told him that one day someone would come and restore his wings, and he would then be able to fly again. Sampati believes that this person is Rama. Sampati then asks if he can be brought to the shore to give funeral rites.

    The apes carried Sampati to the shore so that he could perform the funeral rites for his brother Jatayu. Once he did so, he was cleaned and looked much better, as if he was aging in reverse.

     This story is really short, but I enjoyed it because again I think it reminds me a lot of the story of Icarus in Greek mythology. If I were to retell this story, I would love to somehow do a human version of this story, keeping the plot but changing the details, sort of like making a modern-day Icarus story.

Sampati


Bibliography. Frederika Richardson. PDE The Ramayana "Sampati and Jatayu". Web Source.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Cybersecurity Professional and Future World Traveler

Week 11 Story: The Witch Who Saved Herself